Selling your home in Oklahoma City?
I list many home in the Oklahoma City real estate market and the best advice I can give to a home seller is to pay attention to the small things about their home when it comes time to list their house for sale. The devil is really in the details when buyers look at a home. Lots of everyday wear and tear that you don’t even notice can ding your home in the eyes of potential buyers.
Here’s my list of ten simple improvements you can do to help your home sell faster:
- Spruce up your baseboards: Pets, kids, and stumbling husbands in the dark can make a mess of your baseboards. Repainting baseboards after repairing scratches with putty can make the border of any room look new.
- Fill in nail holes: Part of interior repainting should be careful attention to those errant nail holes from pictures, shelves, and other wall-mounted baubles. Putty, smooth, sand and paint!
- Sniff for smokers: Filter replacement is a must if someone’s been puffing in your home. Also wash down those walls, prime them to seal in any cooked-in nicotine, and repaint. Be sure to check entryways and lawns for cigarette butts, too!
- Review the roof: Do you have missing singles? Broken tiles? Is mold and moss sprouting up there? Do some cleaning and spot replacing.
- Reinforce your gutters: Clean them out, dry them out, then caulk them to prevent leaks. This will keep water off the siding, reducing staining and damage.
- Replace bad vinyl floors: Not only are they tacky when they’re cracked or cut, but they can suggest water damage to buyers.
- Repair dripping faucets: Buyers will turn faucets on and off. What will they find? If your sinks and baths dribble, fix them before buyers imagine their future headache.
- Tune up screens: Did you have a dog that liked to lean against the front door? Look for the sagging, hanging, bent, and bubbling screens, especially around doors. New screens look clean. Old screens suggest neglect.
- Patch cabinet scratches: Tibet Almond Stick, Old English Scratch Cover, or even some artful re-staining can make cabinets seem new. Remember to polish them up when you’re done!
- Reseal wobbly toilets: If the bowl moves when you sit on it, the bolts are rusted, or the bathroom floor is damp and discolored around the commode, replace the toilet or at the very least reseal it.
Selling your OKC home requires you to look at your home as a stranger would. Any sights, smells and clutter can affect a home buyer when they are shown your home or they attend a Open House of your home for sale. Remember to pay attention the small details about your home for sale and work with your real estate agent to ensure that your curb appeal and interior appearance is up to high standards when you sell your home. You home is in competition with other local homes for sale and you need to ensure that you home is clean, presentable and really stands out from the crowd! Need to see what your competition is in the Oklahoma real estate market BEFORE you list your home for sale? Use the search features of my website to view all comparable properties and see how your home for sale will stand up when you list it for sale.